Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Madeline: Single. Lonely. Desperate to the point where she will do anything for a boyfriend.  She has countless failed relationships from the past (all of them abusive and unhealthy), and is hoping her regular attendance at the speed dating service every Wednesday night will eventually land her a date. She has just enough hope left to not end her life.


Andrew: Single. One of Madeline’s ex-boyfriends. Abusive. Alcoholic. Temperamental.


(Lights go up on Madeline sitting at a table by herself. She has a slight frown on her face. She checks her watch and looks off into the distance for a few seconds, then goes back to staring at the tablecloth.)
Manager: Time to switch it up, people!
(Andrew, hood up and head down, stomps over to the table and violently pulls out the chair. He collapses into it, throws off his hood, and throws his arms in front of him, pulling at the tablecloth with his elbows.)
Andrew: Oh, sh*t! Maddie! (Leans back in chair, rubs eyes, leans back forward) What the hell are you doing here?
Maddie: What– what the– uhh–
Andrew: Jesus! Still can’t talk to me, huh? What the hell, it’s been almost eight months!
Maddie: I know, Andrew. I just– (whispering) what are you doing here?
Andrew: I figured I’d give it a try, seeing how everything else hasn’t really worked out for me.
Maddie: What are you talking about?
Andrew: You know. Ever since you and I… it’s been awful, Maddie. I miss you. And I’m not making stuff up this time, I swear. I–
Maddie: Stop.
Andrew: No, Maddie, listen to me–
Maddie: Stop it, Andrew–
Andrew: (Leans forward and grabs Maddie’s wrist forcefully. His tone changes to a harsh whisper) I’m warning you. Maddie. Interrupt me one more time and I swear to God that I will–
Maddie: (Tries to stand up but is yanked back down by Andrew) Help!
Andrew: God, would’ve thought you’d’ve learned after all those other times. Don’t think we’re over, Maddie. Don’t be stupid.
Manager: Alright everybody! Switch it up!

1 comment: